Australia Immigration

There are eight (8) different types of student visas available in Australia

Posted by

A student who intends to study in Australia but is not an Australian citizen must get an Australian Student Visa. A student visa is required for every international student who wishes to study in Australia for at least six months.

To be eligible to apply for an Australian student visa, a student must have paid the required school fee for the course of study and received an admission letter from a Canadian university.

Australia student visa categories

Australia has eight major categories of student visas. International students can apply for any of these visas based on their profile. The following student visa categories are highlighted:

1. Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570)

This visa is for overseas students who desire to study full-time in Australia on an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS). If ELICOS is required as a requirement for another course, students must apply in the subclass appropriate to the primary course.

2. School Sector Visa (Subclass 571).

This visa is available to students from various countries who seek to reside in Australia and pursue a full-time educational programme. A recognised secondary school exchange programme or a primary school course, including junior and senior secondary, can be pursued.

3. Vocational Education and Training Sector Visa (Subclass 572).

This visa is available to foreign students who intend to stay in Australia to complete a full-time vocational education and training course, such as a Diploma or Advanced Diploma.

4. Higher Education Sector Visa (Subclass 573).

This visa is available to students from other countries who intend to pursue a full-time higher education course, such as a bachelor’s degree, post-graduate certificate, or graduate diploma.

5. Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (Subclass 574).

This visa is available to students pursuing a doctorate and planning to live in Australia.

6. Non-award sector visa (subclass 575).

This visa is available to students from other countries who intend to study full-time in Australia for a non-award foundation studies programme or another full-time programme (or portions of a course) that will not result in the award of an Australian degree.

7. Subclass 576 visa for the Defence or Foreign Affairs sectors.

Students from foreign countries who are funded by AusAID or the Defence can apply for this visa to study full-time in Australia.

8. Student Guardian Visa (subclass 580).

This visa is available to international students who intend to stay in Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *